For Christmas I looked for a special recipe for those who can not eat chocolate but miss it. Carob is a great chocolate substitute, it gives a rich chocolaty touch to everything, even to the appearance since the result looks like we are eating a bite of the best chocolate cake, this gluten free carob cake is absolutely yummy 😉
I already told you in another post how carob is an alternative to chocolate which gives very good results. It is low in fat, naturally sweet, and has no stimulant substances. Its flour is extracted from the fruit of the carob and it is rich in natural sugars and proteins, in fact, throughout history, it has been used for making beverages. It is also rich in fibre and vitamins and has multiple beneficial properties.
Gluten free carob cake
- Carob flour.
- Coconut oil (extra virgin).
- Coconut flour (organic).
- Sodium bicarbonate.
- Gelatin (gelatin eggs).
- Celtic or Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine 3 bananas with a tablespoon of coconut oil and mix.
- Add two tablespoons of carob flour, two Tbsp of coconut flour, a small amount of bicarb, a pinch of salt and a little bit of allspice (to your liking) and mix properly until we get a uniform dough.
- Add a chopped avocado and stir.
- We use gelatin as a substitute for eggs. We’ll use a “gelatin egg“: Mix a tablespoon of powdered gelatin with a tablespoon of warm water and toss. To this mixture we add another tablespoon of boiling water and stir well until it is completely uniform. Put it together with the rest and mix well.
- Pour the dough into a mould to your liking and finish off with some topping, For this preparation i’ve used grated coconut, but you can vary with cinnamon, chocolate nibs or any other spice.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Depending on the power of the oven it will need a little more or less cooking (check with a stick).
Tips and tricks:
- If you want to take it hot, you can accompany it with ice cream to give a contrast of temperatures. You can try with this natural banana ice cream, dairy and sugar free.
- Store covered and refrigerated, this way it will last more and the gelatin will give it a more compact texture.
Photo credits: The Holistic Therapy