A great add to my breakfasts have been this pumpkin and ginger cookies that, cropped in little squares and baked until dehydration, are a perfect healthy alternative to the typical “cereals”.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- Cut half pumpkin in pieces and boil it in a title bit of water until soften.
- Remove the left water from the boiling -you can save it for using it in stir fries, sauces, gravies… ;)-
- Mix the soften pumpkin pieces with 1Tbsp coconut oil, 1Tbsp ginger, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp allspice, 3Tbsp shredded coconut, 1/2tsp baking soda and 1Tbsp coconut flour. Stir to form a uniform batter.
- Pour into a baking sheet covered with baking paper and spread into a thin layer.
- Using a toothpick, the back of a piece of cutlery or anything we find easy to use, we’ll do a grid as uniform as possible, the size we want the “cereals”. I normally do it 2cmx2cm, but serve yourselves 😉 I’ll upload an explanative video of how to do it soon so you can see how easy it is.
- Bake for aprox. 1 hour at 160ºC, you can use the toothpick to check. It will brown slightly on the sides as a sign of doneness. We can remove the burnt pieces.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool. After that we simply have to shred it and we will see that the big batter will break into the grid pieces, magic!
Tricks and advices:
- We can store the cookies/cereals in a cristal hermetic bottle.
- They will last more or less depending on the dehydration degree achieved.
- It is useful to add a paper tissue as an absorbent material inside the cereals container so it can absorbe the excess of humidity and the cereals keep crispy.
- In order to get a more nutrient dense breakfast we can add to the milk some nuts, cacao nibs or dehydrated fruits (I love to add dehydrated blueberries).
You will see they are so yummy on their own, as cookies snacks, or as a gluten free cereals since we can use them as an alternative to the typical cereals and we will have a really healthy breakfast, gluten free, grain free, sugar free and dairy free.
Photo credits: The Holistic Therapy